Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Reality Check

I recently visited a friend back home. Back home (aka Boomtown) is a smaller town, ahem “city”, where not every neighbor knows your name but they probably know your Grandparents. I never considered Boomtown to be small “city” because it isn’t very dated. The people who live there drive new cars, where fashionable clothes with equally fashionable accessories. They are up to date on all the latest Hollywood gossip and the teenagers have experienced with the current “it” drug. I have never considered this “city” to be small town, until now.

My visit with my friends was wonderful; they are happy, prosperous, and well rounded. I cannot say the same for my other childhood acquaintances. I started when a guy that accompanied me to a high school dance showed up at my friend’s house (they are ½ cousins) and acted as though he had never met me! He proceeded to hit on me and boast about his recent move to a bigger city (the City with which I live!) and the three different jobs he has had over the course of 2 years. Hmmmm, 3 different jobs in 2 years – makes me wonder?!

Later that night, we went to a new local bar that is low key but a lot of fun. We ran into some of my high school classmates. Some of them, I was thrilled to see, but others, Not. So. Much. It was as though they were still in high school - traveling with the same clique, gossiping about the same boring people, and still living off of Mommy and Daddy’s credit card. Instead of being miserable and annoyed with these small TOWN, small minded GIRLS, (let’s face it, they are not Women) I felt relief! I am relieved not to live there anymore. I am relieved that these GIRLS are not my friends anymore. And most of all, I am relieved that I don’t have to run into them every day.

As I was leaving Boomtown, in my luxurious car that HB and I paid for without the help of Mom and Dad, I felt more fulfilled with my life than I have a while. Thank you Boomtown, and you “STMers” for my reality check. Reality is GOOD!

What kind of reality check have you had recently?

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Most Recent Reality Check:

Date: Last Tuesday
Time: 6:42 p.
R. C.: When you oversleep, rush to get dressed, forget to put on deodorant, it is a hot day, you will smell in the evening.

Poor, Stinky, Me.

anabellster said...

This is a really interesting post. :) I can relate to this totally. Some girls never grow up, and never realize that there is more to life than the small town they grew up in. (I'm from a small town as well.)