Thursday, May 22, 2008

Second Chances


Do you believe in second chances? This is such a tricky question for me. When it comes to child molestation, murder, rape, etc then my answer is NO, I do not believe in second chances. In regards to a cheating spouse or significant other I want to say no but…. One of my closest friends, one of the strongest women I know, her husband (fiancĂ© at the time) cheated. I know him, I know her, I know them now, and I can’t say I blame her for not leaving him. Now, they are happy, they are in love, they have a beautiful child with one on the way, and life seems great. But, I can’t say the same for other men/women I know that have been the cheater or the cheatee. It doesn’t always work out like it did for my friend.

What about second chances for a friendship? Well, that depends on the crime. What about second chances at work? Again, what was the crime? And probably the hardest of all, what about second chances for a family member?

Take my younger sister. She did some terrible things in high school and was sent to boarding school. She graduated from boarding school, moved back home, and did more terrible things. She had been doing terrible things until last May. That is when she got pregnant. I had pretty much given up on her before the baby came. I had given her too many second chances. But once an innocent child was in the picture things changed. My sister changed too. My sister only cared about herself. My sister would lie, cheat and steal to get what she wanted. My sister drank, smoked and did drugs. My sister doesn’t do any of this anymore. Now, my sister is mother. She is a good mother. Her daughter, Poozer, is her number one concern. My sister’s efforts to be a good mother warranted her a second chance (or 100th if we are counting) in my eyes. Now I pray every night that she continues all of her good work.

Do you believe in second chances? Or, have you ever given someone a second chance?

P.S. That is my niece in the picture...isn't she adorable!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Niece is so cute! Your sister deserves a second chance for bringing that cute face into your life.

Anonymous said...

This is a really interesting topic. I guess that it is a judgement call hey?

Look how well your sister is doing! What a cutie pie!

S X